I’m here with insights for Australian businesses on 18th October 2021. To make it easy for you, here’s short list of what’s included in today’s briefing:
- Rules for unvaccinated people
- Isolation rules after close contact
- NSW: rules from 4 October
- VIC: new rules from 22 October
- School reopening dates
- Key dates for businesses
There’s a lot of information for business owners to be across (in addition to running your business). Every business coach at Tenfold is up to speed with the info in these briefings and can help you understand how it applies to your business, and how to keep moving forward. Here’s the info you need to know today:
Rules for unvaccinated people
NSW rules for unvaccinated people
The NSW government recently announced their decision to lift restrictions on unvaccinated workers from 1 December 2021. This means that there will be no difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated people – everyone can to return to offices, work sites, restaurants, etc.
Victorian rules for unvaccinated people
We were hoping that Victorian government would adopt a similar approach to NSW. However, apparently this won’t be the case. The Vic government signalled on Friday that the vaccine mandates for workers will be in place for a “substantial period of time, well into 2022”.
Some Tenfold clients who have unvaccinated workers have agreed that they will take leave without pay. Let’s wait and see what happens over the coming weeks as Victoria’s vaccination rates increase to 70% (expected Friday 22 October) and 80% (expected 5 November).
Isolation rules after close contact
NSW: 7-day quarantine for fully vaccinated people
Since 4 October, people in NSW who are fully vaccinated and have been in close contact with a confirmed COVID case (in their home or at an exposure site) are only required to isolate for 7 days. Once they have received two negative tests on day 1 and day 6, they are allowed to leave quarantine.
VIC: Changes to isolation rules after close contact
The Victorian rules for isolating after close contact and tier 1 exposure sites have been updated. From Friday 22 October (expected date for reaching 70% vaccination), fully vaccinated people who are exposed to a positive Covid case outside their home will only need to quarantine for a week. After they receive negative tests on day 1 and day 6 of quarantine, they can end their isolation.
These rules don’t apply to:
- Household primary close contacts of a COVID case
- Unvaccinated people
In those instances, the isolation period remains at 14 days.
What this means for small and medium businesses
Some Tenfold clients have had significant disruptions due to workers having to isolate for 2 weeks after being at a tier 1 exposure site. The reduced isolation times will enable your vaccinated team members who are healthy to return to work sooner.
School reopening dates
NSW school reopening dates
NSW parents will be sending kids back to school full time from today as follows:
- Preschool, kindergarten, year 1: 18 October
- All remaining year groups: 25 October
VIC school reopening dates
Many Victorians will be looking forward to the end of homeschool. The return to in-class learning will be staggered as follows:
From Friday 5 November (80% fully vaccinated indicative date): All students are expected to return to onsite learning Monday to Friday.
Key dates for businesses
Key dates – NSW
- 70% fully vaccinated reached
- JobSaver reduced to 30% of payroll
- Expected to reach 80% fully vaccinated
- JobSaver will be reduced to 15% of payroll
- JobSaver ends
- NSW to fully reopen, no restrictions on unvaccinated people
Key dates – VIC
- Authorised workers to be single vaxxed to attend workplace
- Schools reopen – staggered
- COVID-19 Disaster Payment will need to be applied for again (no more automatic payments). Amounts stay the same ($450 / $750)
- BCAP ends for most businesses
5 November: 80% target expected to be reached:
- All workers can return to workplaces if single vaxxed – pending advice on caps
- COVID-19 Disaster Payment will reduce to flat payment of $450 in week 1
- COVID-19 Disaster Payment will reduce to flat payment of $320 in week 2 – final payment
- anyone on construction sites must be fully vaxxed
- BCAP ends for all remaining businesses
- All authorised workers must be fully vaxxed to attend workplaces
Please reach out to a business coach at Tenfold if you have any questions.
Ashley Thomson B.Eng. (Hons), Grad. Dip. Mgmt, MEI
Tenfold Business Coaching