I’m here with the COVID-19 continuity update for Australian businesses on 21st August
In today’s briefing, the focus is back on you as the business owner.
Business owners tend to be obsessive by nature (and I’m including myself and the Tenfold coaches in this category). That’s because that trait – whether you call it obsession, drive, determination – is a core factor of success. Everyone who has achieved noteworthy success has thought to themselves, “I want to do it better than anyone else.” For many of you, that need to strive and prove yourself was what made you decide to leave your job as an employee and start your own business.
That drive to be the best is normally advantageous for your business. However, that obsessive nature isn’t something that can be switched on and off – it’s part of who we are. So, we need to recognise that, in these abnormal times when there is so much in our lives that we are restrained from doing, the lack of direction can be frustrating.
My advice during these restricted times is to channel that energy into something good, something that serves you. Whatever you choose, do it with your full commitment. This isn’t about filling the time; it’s about fulfilling that drive.
Find a challenge that works for you, such as:
• Fitness; set yourself a new goal, a really challenging one that you have to strive for;
• Learn a new skill (e.g. master an instrument, lock picking, martial arts, yoga). Or perfect a skill you already have to mastery level (e.g. cook the perfect steak). Become the absolute best at it;
• Clean up and completely organise an area of importance (e.g. your shed, your office, your emails);
• Get your finances in order: sort out your will, reassess your super strategy, and review your property loans;
• Write or review your bucket list – watch this video from Trav Bell, the “Bucket List Guy”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GImTk0BzBhM
• Teach your kids some life skills (e.g. how to change a car tyre, change a washer, sew a button, build a shelter, make a campfire, play poker).
Ashley Thomson B.Eng(Hons), Grad. Dip. Mgmt, MEI
Tenfold Business Coaching