I’m here with insights for Australian businesses on 15th July 2021, as Victoria prepares for their fifth lockdown, starting midnight tonight.
Most Victorian business owners would have heard from the press conference today that those businesses that were shut down during the last lockdown in May / June 21 will also be required to be closed for this lockdown. Schools will be closed, but childcare and kindergartens stay open.
The Tenfold business coach team and I have reviewed the restrictions and we note that they are similar to the last week of the last Victorian lockdown, not the first week that had tighter restrictions.
This time around, regional Victoria is at the same level of restrictions as Melbourne but has been promised a quicker exit if testing results prove that the regions are COVID free.
A copy of the restrictions can be found here: Table of Restrictions – 15 July 2021 . Please contact your business coach if you have any questions about the restrictions, and we can help interpret them as to how they relate specifically to your situation.
The key question I know Tenfold’s Victorian clients are asking is: “Can my team attend work (onsite/in the office) tomorrow?”
Many of the clients our business coaches mentor will be able to continue to trade, however some unfortunately will need to close for the 5-day period.
Here are the headlines for businesses that are able to open and at what capacity.
Construction & Trades
- Essential infrastructure and essential services that are required to maintain or protect human health, safety and wellbeing (whether provided by a public or private undertaking), and including construction, maintenance and repair of such infrastructure;
- Critical repairs to any premises where required for emergency or safety; or
- Building and construction services; or
- Organisations that provide urgent services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises; or Example: the performance of emergency plumbing services, Centrelink services and foodbanks.
Tenfold coaches have done further investigation and we have found more clarification on restrictions. We are pleased to advise businesses in the trades that more of your businesses will be able to operate during this period. We note that these additional details were not contained in the table of restrictions but have been published on the Vic DHHS website.
In summary, you can continue to work solely outdoors where physical distancing can be maintained at all times.
Here’s the excerpt from the DHHS website:
The following businesses can open under circuit breaker restrictions. If their employees are unable to work from home they can leave home to attend work.
The following services which must operate solely outdoors where physical distancing can be maintained at all times, for businesses with an ABN:
- landscaping and gardening services (with up to five people)
- outdoor maintenance, repairs, cleaning and other building work (including in relation to pools), with up to five people plus a supervisor if conducted at occupied premises
- home renovations and installations (with up to five people a plus supervisor if conducted at occupied premises)
- home solar panel installations (with up to five people a plus supervisor if conducted at occupied premises and in those circumstances only for outdoor work or in roof cavities with external access).
And here’s the link to DHHS: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/authorised-provider-and-authorised-worker-list
All manufacturing is able to open.
Please note that any business that is forced to shut can have certain team members attend their office/s to ensure that payroll and IT services can continue to operate. Here is the exact excerpt from the official government list.
Administrative services provided by an employer to enable its employees to work from home; Example: Payroll and IT services.
Ancillary and support businesses are able to open on-site where necessary for the operations of an Authorised Provider, or for Closed Work Premises where there are safety or environmental obligations.
Speak to your business coach about any grey areas and we’ll help you review the rules as the apply to your work and your team.
For our business coaches and clients in NSW are still under lockdown restrictions, a refresher can be found here: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rules
In contrast to Victoria, the restrictions on NSW businesses aren’t as onerous or far reaching as those that apply to Victorian businesses.
Government Support for Businesses and Employees
Our business coaches have noticed that there has been much political banter in the past week about state and federal support. Several initiatives have been announced for businesses but to date they are headlines only and are still scant on details. Our business coaches prefer to bring you information when the details are decided upon so we can give your business advice that you can act on.
For Tenfold business coaching clients, your business mentor will provide you further information over the coming days explaining what financial support is available for businesses. Your coach will explain how it applies to your business and they’ll advise you on how to maximise the support payments you and your team receive.
We’re here for you.
Ashley Thomson B.Eng. (Hons), Grad. Dip. Mgmt, MEI
Tenfold Business Coaching