I’m here with the COVID-19 continuity update for Australian businesses on 13th August.
As the Victorian Stage 4 restrictions tighten, many businesses are going to experience a forced slowdown. While you may not have control over the situation you find yourself in, you do have control of how your business handles this period of enforced go-slow.
Key areas of focus for when your business is shutdown or working at much reduced capacity
- Tidy up things that haven’t been addressed in the last 2 weeks of busy-ness.
- Keep quoting (remotely) and invoicing as per usual.
- Plan for when we move back from stage 4; you want to have systems ready to go and work lined up so that you can hit the ground running.
- Don’t plan for a 6-week shutdown; it could be shorter or it could be longer. Instead, plan for a week’s notice that you can become operational again.
- Keep in mind that many suppliers working in the services sectors are still operational, just working remotely. There is still a lot of planning that can be done so that you can catch up when things reopen.
- Consider picking up projects that may have been on the backburner, for example:
- Review profitability by job type, and by client type – you and your coach have probably been talking about this for a while;
- Learn and fully implement the software system you have been meaning to get into;
- Review your marketing, develop new case studies, complete your competitor analysis, update your strategic account management plans.
- And finally, and most importantly, use the time to relax and recharge. We’re not going to be able to take that overseas or interstate trip this year so take some time to chill out. It has been a big year and you need to be refreshed for the rest of the year. I’ll say more on this tomorrow.
While you can’t work IN your business, use the time to work ON your business. Speak to a Tenfold business coach for a plan of action specific to where your business is at in the business lifecycle, and make the most of this time.
Ashley Thomson B.Eng(Hons), Grad. Dip. Mgmt, MEI
Tenfold Business Coaching